Wednesday, January 18

Genichi Taguchi

Japanese quality assurance guru. "Any deviation from the nominal target is a loss, not only to the company, but to society".

Does that apply to me and the work I do? Ultimately, does that mean if I don't stick by the timetable I've set myself, then society will lose out? If I slack off will it mean that somewhere an andrex puppy is being drowned?

The Japanese seem to have built up a whole economy on common sense. If someone enjoys their job, they'll do it better. Who gave them this common sense? An american. The americans didn't like the idea that you could let people enjoy work, and not just shout at them, so they ignored W. Edwards Deming for 40 years. By that time Japan had become the super-economy it is today, and the rest of the world is only just cottoning on, and attempting to catch up.

Simple is best.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

jono ur so funny!! you make me laugh. i had no idea an engineer could write so well!!
H

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home